Monday, November 15, 2010

I'll show you mine if you show me yours first

I was talking to an old friend this week on Facebook. One of those friends that slips away and you don't ever expect to hear from again, with no idea what their life looks like.

He slipped back :)

It was so great to catch up on, literally, years of news - finding out what he's up to, catching him up on my crazy adventures, and as always, throwing in a little bit of reminiscing. Looking back with nostalgia at when life was maybe just that little bit simpler.


I've always known that my life is a really blessed one, thanks to the family and situations God has placed me in, so I tend to struggle with understanding the difficulties other people face.

I can't imagine the pain that some people face, the reality they have to wake up to each morning, the mess they tread through.
I can't say I've been there,
but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter;
it doesn't mean I don't care



I've been staring at my computer for the last half an hour trying to work out where to go with that. How do I say whatever it is I want to say, and have it actually mean anything? I don't even know what it is that I do want to say.

What I do know is that I like facts, that I know. Statistics interest me - which is odd for someone who recently proved she cannot add up to 24.
But finding out that suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death in young people aged 15-24? or that 15-20% of the world's population will be affected majorly by depression?
Those aren't facts I like.
That's when I start hoping that someone happens to be just as bad at maths as me and got their numbers muddled. But that's very real. And wishing it away isn't the right way for me to come to terms with what this world is like.

So if that's you out there, if somehow you stumbled onto this page and you know that you fit into those kind of statistics, or you struggle to make it through to the end of the day,
please know you aren't alone.
And know that there are people out there who care
I care :)


My friend, the one who slipped back, I want him to know that too. I've been taking the backseat for too long, but I won't let him become another statistic. He's not slipping away again. Not on my watch.

I will write love on my arms

1 comment: